If you don't have access to the private owners area, please forward the latest Resortalia weekly report email to lasterrazasdelatorre@gmail.com
Click the X on the top right of this announcement box to dismiss this message.

IBERDROLA - comparison of electricity plans

Had good service from a local business? Recommend them here!
Iva & Mar

IBERDROLA - comparison of electricity plans

Post by Iva & Mar » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:55 pm

Hi everyone .
In a few weeks we will finally own the apartment and we'll be neighbors in your community - (I keep my fingers crossed ;) )
We miss for the sun! 8-)

Browsing the website IBERDROLA - electricity plans, I wonder which one to choose. :idea:

https://www.iberdrola.es/home/electricity

I would to ask for advice, people who have already switched to this company.

Which of the option to choose , if we intend to stay in the apartment only a few times this year, but not at weekends - for example : one week every two months.
Besides this time, ( mostly we have to work :( , in own country ) , and the apartment will be standing empty.

For sure some of you have a comparison and evaluation.

We ask you very much for advice - pleeeease !

And thank you with advance :)

IVA

Duncan

Re: IBERDROLA - comparison of electricity plans

Post by Duncan » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:38 pm

Hi Iva,

We visit maybe four times a year for one or two weeks each time. We have the Conect@Electricity Holidays plan

It's an online only plan. Not sure if it is still available though.
Forward the latest weekly Resortalia newsletter to lasterrazasdelatorre@gmail.com to get access to the private owners area

Iva & Mar

Post by Iva & Mar » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:06 am

Thank you Duncan.
I checked it - Offer valid until 15 April 2017.
Maybe we will be ready by then.
It's actually for us this offer.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:05 pm

Some advice from Phil Ryan
REDUCING YOUR ELECTRICITY BILL (Iberdrola)

Owners can adjust one or both Levers

1. Contract Capacity - FIXED COST (maximum amount of electricity used at any one time)

Yours will be set at either 5.75km , 4.6km or 3.45km - a one step reduction will save you circa. 9/10 euros per month - every month

Iberdrola advised us that even with our 3 aircon units , our oven and all lights on we would not exceed 3.45KW !

Check your details with Iberdrola and make your decision......

2. PV Rate (cost per kw used)

This rate includes 10 hours per day peak and 14 per day at VALLEY Rate (reduced)

The Winter Peak hours are from 12pm till 10pm

The Summer Peak hours are from 1pm till 11pm

You can change one or both levers - Contract Capacity or/and PV Raté

Changing both generated us savings of over €230 per year (2 Bed apartment)

Making the change :-

The easiest way to make the changes is to visit your local Iberdrola office in San Javier early on a week day morning with a copy of your bill and your NIÉ number & Passport details

You could also phone Customer Service (in English) 900 322 044 or (0034) 91 649 6330 if you are calling from outside of Spain

or

Log on to www.iberdrola.es/customers/contact/service-points

Best of luck

Phil
Forward the latest weekly Resortalia newsletter to lasterrazasdelatorre@gmail.com to get access to the private owners area

thorpej2

Post by thorpej2 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:37 pm

I am fairly sure we are paying too much for our electricity from Iberdola. We are on the tourist tarrif, with 5.75 kw capacity. Looking at what Phil says I think we could drop down to the lowest level capacity. However, I dont know what happens if/when you exceed your contracted limit, what "trips" out and can it be easily reset by us? I don't think we are heavy power users, but I don't want to change to find we have constant problems.

Also, can't see on my bill the PV rate I am on, I can see the cost (0.124518€) but there is no rate description.

Any help with these would be great. I did see mention of some advice of electricity costs possibly being issued to everyone, but not sure if/when this might happen.

Thanks

Jim

Duncan

Post by Duncan » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:45 pm

Hi Jim,

I was on the Iberdrola Conect@Holidays plan, which gave me a fixed consumption rate and a discounted supply rate but it expired on 18th July. If you want to check your plan and rates it should be viewable via your contract on the Iberdrola website.

The current plans can be found here. A summary of plans and prices as at 6th August, 2017 are:

Code: Select all

Plan	Supply Charge	Consumption Charge
	per year	Low		High		Low rate
Stable	42,043426€/kW	0,117988 €/kWh	0,117988 €/kWh	all year, any time
8 hours	42,043426€/kW	0,067482 €/kWh	0,158588 €/kWh	Selected 8 hours per day
Weekend	42,043426€/kW	0,067482 €/kWh	0,158588 €/kWh	Weekends
Night	42,043426€/kW	0,060709 €/kWh	0,142726 €/kWh	22:00-12:00 Oct-Mar, 23:00-13:00 Mar-Oct
Summer	42,043426€/kW	0,067482 €/kWh	0,158588 €/kWh	15th June - 15th September
Winter	42,043426€/kW	0,067482 €/kWh	0,158588 €/kWh	1st December - 1st March
The tariff you choose really depends on your usage patterns.

I compared the stable, summer and 8 hours tariffs based on my usage patterns. I use 40kWh per month every month and around 130-180 kWh per week when I am out in the summer, mostly aircon. Based on one week a month from May-Oct, the summer tariff works out cheaper than the stable plan. The 8 hours plan will work out cheaper if I consume at least 1/3 of my electricity in the 8 hours chosen. The trouble is working out what 8 hours to choose!

As Phil says, you can reduce your supply charge by reducing from the standard 5.75kw supply charge. There is a handy power calculator here

Some examples from the calculator:

Low consumption 2.3 to 3.45kW
fridge, water heater, washing machine, dish washer and 1 air con unit (morning)
cooker, oven, fridge, water heater and 1 air con unit (lunch/dinner time)
fridge, water heater and 2 aircon units (night time)

medium consumption 3.45kW to 4.6kw
fridge, water heater and 3 aircon units
cooker, oven, fridge, water heater, washing machine, dishwasher and 1 air con unit

High Consumption 4.6 to 5.75 kW
cooker, oven, fridge, water heater, washing machine, dishwasher and 3 air con units

Looks like most common scenarios can be dealt with at the 3.45kW level. Even with the cooker, oven, washing machine and dishwasher on at the same time with 1 air con unit you are still under the 4.6kW level. I can't imagine a scenario when you have the cooker, oven, dishwasher, washing machine and all the air con units on to require the 4.6kW-5.75kW level. The kitchen isn't big enough for all that activity!

For all of the plans the costs are:

Code: Select all

kW	Annual	Monthly
5.75	€241.75	€20.15
4.6	€193.40	€16.12
3.45	€145.05	€12.09
I changed online to the 3.45kW supply and the 8 hour plan with two 4 hour timeslots. 13:00 to 17:00 mid afternoon aircon and washing machine/dish washer and from 22:00 to 02:00 as we usually eat out of an evening and that covers the major aircon use in the evening/night. We'll see how it goes.

Thanks for the pointers Phil!

thorpej2

Post by thorpej2 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:56 pm

Duncan (and Phil), thanks for the comprehensive info. I will try and work out what is the best fit for us.

I would still like to know what happens if you exceed your contracted limit. I don't want the wifes hair dryer to trip it and then have to wait for a reset. I'm hoping that the smart meters take care of the limit management without any intervention.

Jim...

Duncan

Post by Duncan » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:14 am

Hi Jim,

I have asked the question of Iberdrola. I will post here when I get a response.

Duncan

Post by Duncan » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:57 pm

I sent the following query:
I have signed up for a 3.45kW supply contract which I believe is enough for my needs. What will happen if I exceed this?
and received this response:
Dear customer:

The switch would disconnect the entire installation if the sum of the power demanded by the devices in simultaneous operation exceeds the contracted power. If this occurs frequently, it indicates that insufficient power has been contracted.

For any other information or further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us by e-mail, at our customer support centre on 900 322 044, www.iberdrola.es or www.twitter.com/TuIberdrola.

Kind regards,

Customer Service Center
So, it would appear that something would trip out. Where it trips and how it would be reset is a mystery. I've asked the question.

thorpej2

Post by thorpej2 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:38 pm

Thanks for chasing, I hadn't realised that Iberdola were geared up to answer questions in english. I'm hoping that the reset is automatic or under our control.

I think we are going for the 8 hour option, with 4 in the morning (7-11) and 4 late afternoon (4-8) as these suit our lifestyle when out in the cooler months.

Jim..

Duncan

Post by Duncan » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:52 pm

Further to the above, my question
Thanks for the quick response. Where is this switch and how would we reset it?

Thanks
Their response
Dear customer:

Thank you for your e-mail.

Further to our previous communications, we inform you that the switch may be installed on the main electrical switchboard of the property, where all the fuses are places, but it depends of your private installation.

Best regards,

Customer Service Center
So, I'm guessing it is the main circuit breaker panel to the property though I'm not convinced that they can make it trip out at a lower kWh depending on your tariff. I've gone for 3.45kW supply. Let's see what happens, I suspect nothing except cheaper bills.

Duncan

Post by Duncan » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:16 am

I've done a little more investigation into electrical appliance power consumption. These will vary by appliance make and size but this is a rough guide

Low Consumption - don't worry
Phone charger 5w
Wifi Router 6w
CFL lightbulb 15w
Laptop 60w
TV 100w
Fridge 180w

Medium Consumption - use appropriately
Washing Machine 500w
Aircon unit 1000w
Iron 1100w
Microwave 1200w
Toaster 1200w

High Consumption - schedule usage
Hairdryer 1500w
Cooker 1500w
Dishwasher 1800w
Oven 2400w
Water Heater 3000w

thorpej2

Post by thorpej2 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:02 pm

Hi Duncan,
Thanks again for the extra info, I now know what would suit us best. I started the procedure to reduce our contracted capacity to 4.6kw, but it popped up a warning about costs for the change, including an access charge. Looking on the Iberdolasite seems to infere that a reduction is free of charge. Can you confirm thats what you found please?

Cheers
Jim

Duncan

Post by Duncan » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:52 pm

Hi Jim,

The day they switched my tariff I got invoiced for €9.04 for "coupling fees" and was refunded €9.04 as "Compensation due to change of access tariff". The invoice total was €0.00. They did not require access to the apartment to make any changes. I assume it is all done via the smart meter and billing system.

As an aside, I now have a section that highlights current consumption and forecast for next period under choose 8 hours plan, so it may allow you to review your usage and change the 8 hours for discounted rates. Will post back when I get my first monthly bill on the new plan in early September.

thorpej2

Post by thorpej2 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:23 pm

Hi Duncan,
We were charged 10.64€ for the capacity change, still no sign of a refund.

Finally got the Choose 8 plan sorted. I found if you don't have a spanish mobile number then you can't use the online form as it validates on that field and won't let you progress past it. So sorted it via email. I also see in the new contract it also includes Home Support service for free. Although useful it only duplicates what I have on my contents insurance.
Thanks agian for all your help, now need to see how the bills look.

Jim

Duncan

Post by Duncan » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:52 pm

I received my first bill on the new plan and it was significantly cheaper.

I managed to complete my switch online without a Spanish mobile number but there was a certain order that you had to do things in.

Watch out for that Home Support Service, if it is appliance insurance you will probably find it is free for 3 months and then they charge.

thorpej2

Post by thorpej2 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:54 am

Hi Duncan,

Just got our latest bill and it is a lot cheaper. Previously we paid about 22€ per month when the apartment was empty, our latest bill was 13€ and that even included a bit of power usage! Certainly seems worth the effort of swapping capacity and tarrif.

Jim

TCAAIVA

Post by TCAAIVA » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:47 pm

Hi all, We are in process of buying apartment on Las Terrazas de la Torre. Currently awaiting completion which should be early/mid November 2017 (hopefully before). All this is new to us so we're trying to get a fast-track handle on lots and lots of different things so this post is particularly interesting. I think I understand what you've been saying about the maximum capacity but I'm not sure what the 8 hour reference means. Is that a period where a different maximum is allowed, if so what proportion? I can and will check the Iberdola website, however a very brief overview will help us to understand what we're looking for.

We're planning on coming out 2/3 times a year, mainly during the spring and autumn times so would this be a good package to go for?

Thanks

Duncan

Post by Duncan » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:08 am

Hi TCAAIVA,

There are a number of different plans available.

Iberdrola promote plans based on whether the property is your main residence or a secondary residence.

The secondary residence plans are based on reduced tariffs for summer (Jun 15th - Sep 15th), winter (Dec 1st - Mar 1st), weekends (all year) or balanced (same costs for all year round).

Main residence plans have reduced tariffs for night (22:00 - 12:00), choose your own 8 hour time slot (available across two 4 hour slots) and also the weekend and balanced plans above.

The per unit costs differ by plan and I worked out that although my apartment is a secondary residence, I would be better off choosing the eight hour plan with two four hour slots. Having said that, the electricity usage is a minor part of the bill for a secondary residence and the biggest cost is supply cost. The standard supply is 5.75kw . You can also opt for 4.6kw or 3.45kw. This will make the biggest difference to your bill as a non-resident. I have chosen the 3.45kw supply and not had any problems throughout August, September and October with aircon, oven, cooker, water heater, washing machine, dish washer etc all in operation.

TCAAIVA

Post by TCAAIVA » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:35 pm

Thank you Duncan for very prompt feedback.

We've had a very brief look at the Iberdrola website but need go into it further, however your overview is a good place for us to start. Thank you.

As we won't have possession for a few more weeks we don't know whether the apartment has a smart meter. Do you know whether they are fitted as standard in all the apartments or do they have to be fitted retroactively? FYI we'll be in block 29.

A little surprised that 3.45kw supply will cope but glad to learn that yours seems to do the job. Ours is one of the smaller apartments because it's just for the two of us and so it would be good if the power rating demand can be at the lower end of the scale using similar appliances to those you mention. If we found 3.45kw to be insufficient, I presume we can upgrade to 4.6kw without too much hassle?

The summer/winter periods don't quite match the spring/autumn periods we have in mind so I guess the balanced option is the one we need to go for?

As this is our first property adventure abroad, we're gradually finding our way through the maze of hurdles so we very much appreciate the helping hand.

Duncan

Post by Duncan » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:40 am

The 8 hours plan works out cheaper than the balanced plan for low/no consumption so as long as you don't choose 8 hours when you won't use electricity you will probably be better off with the 8 hour plan.

I think all meters are smart meters, we didn't upgrade ours.

Iberdrola said if I consume over 3.45kw the circuit will trip out and it will need to be reset. They said if this happens often I should upgrade. The email is copied above. I haven't had any problems with 3.45kw.

TCAAIVA

Post by TCAAIVA » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:39 pm

Thanks Duncan. Very helpful. I think I'm getting to grips with this.

So just be clear, if we choose the 8 hour plan we should specify the 8 hours (or 2x 4 hours) when we are likely to use more electricity? I presume those 8 hours are at a reduced cost per kw and the remaining hours are at a higher cost per kw. Is that correct?

Duncan

Post by Duncan » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:44 pm

The plans are here

For the eight hour plan (or 2 x 4 hours) you get charged 0,067482€/kWh for the discounted 8 hours and 0,158588€/kWh for the remaining 16 hours.

For the stable plan you get charged 0,117988€/kWh all day.

If you choose a reasonable 2x4 period you will save money over the stable plan.

If you are mostly out between Jun 15th and Sep 15th then the summer plan is the way to go

For infrequent visitors, the biggest savings to be made are with the power supply charges rather than consumption charges. Consumption charges are almost inconsequential.

Duncan

Post by Duncan » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:49 pm

Some more information from the owner's facebook page about resetting the supply if it trips out
It doesn’t trip in the apartment, it’s in the meter cupboard, maintenance said if it did happen again turn the general fuse in your fuse box off for a short while and then turn it back on and that would reset the trip.