Register and then forward the latest weekly Resortalia newsletter to lasterrazasdelatorre@gmail.com to get access to the private owners area
Click the X on the top right of this announcement box to dismiss this message.

What made you choose Las Terrazas?

Information about Las Terrazas de la Torre, Costa Calida and Murcia
SallyInHerts

What made you choose Las Terrazas?

Post by SallyInHerts » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:06 pm

Greetings, I am a first time poster. The reason I wanted to post is that I wanted to find out why owners had chosen Las Terrazas over other Polaris locations.

In addition to Las Terrazas, we also really like Hacienda Riquelme and have also looked at Mar Menor. One of the attractions of Las Terrazas is that we think we could use scooters to access public transport, which with the station, appears better in Balsicas than in Sucina. We prefer the buildings at Terrazas and Riquelme to Mar Menor. Before we buy,we would look to try a long rental, but first trying to make sure we are looking at the right options.

Thanks!

Duncan

Re: What made you choose Las Terrazas?

Post by Duncan » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:17 pm

Hi Sally,

Welcome to our community website. I hope you find your place in the sun! My answer to your question is long but I will try to keep it short :lol:

Firstly a disclaimer, I am an owner on Las Terrazas therefore my response will have some biased opinion ;)

I had been considering an apartment or villa for some time. I had looked at the Canary islands and Portugal and first started looking at Murcia back in 2006 when the boom was in full swing. I really liked the Polaris World story and fancied an apartment on Las Terrazas but couldn't afford it. I subsequently looked at Condado de Alhama resort as it was more in my price range. Thankfully I was slow to action and when the credit crunch bit I was still on the outside.

I continued to receive emails from Polaris World 5% off, 10%, 15%, 20%, 25%, 30%, 40%, 50%, 66% ... I looked again

For me, Mar Menor, La Torre and Las Terrazas de La Torre were the best located for beaches, airports, transport and facilities. Mar Menor was complete, most expensive but with a more complete offering. La Torre was next, complete and slightly less facilities and in the middle range in terms of prices. Las Terrazas was incomplete but had a reasonable offering and great value apartments.

I rented in La Torre and liked it but loved the open spaces and pools on offer at Las Terrazas and most of all the security of the resort and the peace and quiet.

I would happily have bought on either, but for me Terrazas de La Torre shaded it on value and peace and quiet versus slightly better facilities.

It all depends on what you are looking for. Do you want to live in a gated community and spend most of your time in an expat community or do you want to spend more time in the external community? We love our apartment. Love the peace and quiet. Love the pools and gardens. Love the location. But most of all we love the ability to get out to Roldan, Balsicas, Torre-Pacheco, Los Alcazares, La Zenia, Cartagena, Murcia and beyond using car and/or train from Balsicas station which is an easy bike/scooter ride away

As you will probably have seen, I have posted LOTS of information on Las Terrazas but if you have any questions, feel free to ask. I always try to temper my opinion with reality but sometimes fail :lol:

I think you are right to choose one of the Nicklaus Trail Golf Resorts as opposed to the others which IMHO have declining or closed courses. I hope you find the right one for you.
Register and then forward the latest weekly Resortalia newsletter to lasterrazasdelatorre@gmail.com to get access to the private owners area

SallyInHerts

Post by SallyInHerts » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:06 am

Duncan, thanks for your considered reply. I have been lurking on here for a while and really appreciate all your posts both here and on the Eye on Spain website, as well of those if the whole community for that matter. Thanks for being so welcoming too.

The reason we were looking at a Polaris resort is that we own a timeshare in the USA on a golf course and while we don't really play, we like the security, community amenities, peace and quiet of the golf course, plus just sitting out on a terrace and enjoying the views.
Plus although you have resort fees, we are used to paying these as part of that. We enjoy mixing with people of other nationalities and practicing other languages, wouldn't want to be in a 100% British resort, but as long as there is a mix, even if Brits are the majority, that's fine.

We are looking initially for a weekend getaway, that as we retire we can spend more time at. The idea of stamping our own identity on a place is why buying more appealing than renting, but could do either. We like to go out and experience bustling places, but then return somewhere peaceful and quiet. Which is why the ease of getting to Cartagena and Murcia is important, as well as the coastal resorts.

Sorry, that was my turn to write a really long post, apologies!

lesleyaitchison

Post by lesleyaitchison » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:38 pm

Hi Sally

I am also an owner at Las Terrazas de la Torre so therefore biased too and agree with everything Duncan says.

I started coming to the Murcia region of Spain 2005 and have stayed on Country Club Mazarron, Mar Menor Polaris World and La Torre. I have to say loved Mar Menor but was out of my price range. I started looking to buy November 2015 and rented at Las Terrazas De La Torre I looked at the bank repo but ended up buying a resale as it was a good deal at the time. I also looked at the coastal resorts too however although we have community fees here I like the security on our resort as I sometimes come on my own. Purchased complete Feb 2016 and I have been over 13 times so far. Myself, Husband and two sons (18 & 22yrs) just love it here as Duncan says so many places to visit outside the resort too. And the pool areas are so peaceful and spacious just lovely. Please feel free to ask me anymore questions I bombarded Duncan with emails before I bought!! Also if you come over to look and I am there I would not mind meeting up.

Lesley

Duncan

Post by Duncan » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:44 pm

We certainly have an international community here Sally. Looking at the registered languages on the forum and also google analytics, there is a good mix of owners on Las Terrazas. Mostly owners in Northern and Western Europe and Spain. Owners are predominantly from UK & Ireland. Next largest group are from Spain followed by central Europe (Netherlands, Belgium, France, Germany, Switzerland) then Scandinavia (Sweden, Norway, Finland, Denmark). We also have a few owners from Poland and beyond.

As for views, can you beat this view from my apartment terrace? (only one crane remains). It's great to watch the golfers pass by while enjoying the expansive views across the golf course towards the mountains at Cartagena.

We too were looking for a getaway with a view to spending more time here on retirement. We visit 4 times or more a year with the odd long weekend. The short flight and low costs make it possible and with Corvera airport opening next year hopefully more choice. Problem is that every time we come, we don't want to go home :lol:

I agree that one of the major advantages of owning over renting is that you can set the apartment up the way you want it and leave everything here. It means you can travel light and get straight into relax mode as soon as you arrive. We also have family who use our apartment and there is plenty of space for them to leave their bits and pieces in the apartment too.

SallyInHerts

Post by SallyInHerts » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:08 am

Thanks Lesley and Duncan, that's really useful. We finish paying off our mortgage here in Jan, so we're looking to start the purchase search then, but if a bargain came up before then we could move sooner.

I was looking at that lovely picture Duncan and was trying to think about why it looked so different to our golf timeshare in the US. Then it dawned on me.. you can see mountains. Given that our place is in Florida, the closest height bumps to mountains are the freeway off ramps. I love that you can see so far in to the distance.

Also, this may sound an odd question,but are you allowed to use Segways at Las Terrazas? We have a couple of the mini ones, but they are illegal for street use here, so could consider taking them over if they are ok there. It could be a good way to get around the resort.

Duncan

Post by Duncan » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:12 pm

The mountains you can see looking South are the ones at Cartagena 13 miles / 21km as the crow flies. There are more impressive ones looking 8 miles / 14km away looking North-North-West towards Murcia.

I haven't seen any regulations banning segways but I will ask.

I asked your question on the owner's facebook page hoping people would post here but after one responded on the facebook page an avalanche of responses ensued. I've printed them to pdf. The general themes are peace and quiet, not too large, great value but a better quality restaurant and a gym on site would make it perfect.

Sentiments I agree with entirely.

graaza

Post by graaza » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:49 pm

Hi Sally and welcome to Terrazas
I have been a owner on Terrazas since buying offplan many years ago so have seen it develop from a early stage and in my experience it has become a excellent resort whether your buying as a holiday home or your permenant place in the sun either way you couldn't find a more relaxing resort with excellent placement for the beaches of the Mar Menor or the city's of Murcia and Cartegena with a wealth of restaurants in the area I would advise a car as public transport does not at present service the resort but this could change as we have petition with the local town hall to provide this service there is a local train station close-by in Balsiscas this runs to both Murcia and Cartegena with links to Madrid. We are a friendly bunch and any questions just ask we have all been through the buying process and Duncan is a wealth of information.
Good luck with whatever you choose
Regards
Graham

SallyInHerts

Post by SallyInHerts » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:09 am

Thanks Duncan and Graham,

We really appreciate all of your help and comments. I should also add that we both do drive and will most likely hire a car for weekends, or drive down if there for several months. Its just good to have other options.

Just talking about it on here makes the dream so tangible, this is very exciting.

We have also been discussing the apartments over here in Hertfordshire. Having looked at all the layouts, thanks Duncan, we really like the phase 1 style apartments, as opposed to the new ones with the blue bits (which I'm sure will have a much swankier marketing name) or the La Isla ones. Not so keen on the little windows, even though they are otherwise gorgeous.

We may only look for a one bedroom, but will would like the double terrace. We would also like good views, but also to be able to sit in the shade, so will need to think a bit about orientation.

Does anyone recommend any particular agent?

Thanks again everyone for all your help.

Chris-Vds

Post by Chris-Vds » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:26 pm

Dear Sally,

We have also just purchased a two bedroom apartment in Phase 1 Block 30.
We opted for a south facing two bedroom apartment overlooking the golf course.
If you want to enjoy your terrace in winter, I recommend a south orientation.

Catherine and Christophe

SallyInHerts

Post by SallyInHerts » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:54 am

Thanks Chris. Winter is definitely when we would use the most in the long term. I think we are going to have to do some hard thinking on this. I want a partially shaded terrace that's not too cool in winter. Possibly South West or South East facing then. Hmmmm...decisions decisions.

Duncan

Post by Duncan » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:15 pm

Depends on whether you are a morning person or an evening person. We have a SW facing patio and miss out on the early morning sun but catch the sun from mid morning to sunset.

Here's a useful tool to see how the sun will hit your place in the sun :)

http://suncalc.net/#/37.7957,-0.9759,17 ... 6.13/20:15

TCAAIVA

Post by TCAAIVA » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:48 pm

Original post asks "What made us choose Terrazas".

Although we've visited the region a few times before we had no pre-conceived ideas of what we wanted to buy, so when we came out in Sept 2017 with the clear goal to buy 'something' we spent 2 weeks looking at all sorts of different properties. Admittedly, our budget was a bit of a driver, which frankly took us to some pretty dank places that we wouldn't have bought even at half the price. On that reconnaissance trip we were renting in Torre so it became clear that a golf resort would offer quite a nice environment, benefitting from a good general up keep. We checked only four golf resorts.

From the agent's pictures we first thought that the Terrazas resort looked a bit uninspiring but when we came and saw it for ourselves our opinion changed immediately. The first thing we noticed was the high level of security. Even the agent commented he always gets challenged at the gate to show identification and explain purpose of his visit. Since then we regularly see security patrolling the by car and on foot. Next was the good level of grounds maintenance. The roads were clear, the refuse bins were not unsightly as you see at most other urbanisations, the gardens were tidy, the pools well presented.

Whilst the blocks looked clean and tidy, because we bought a bank property we realised we'd have to make some compromises in return for buying cheaply. We therefore looked past the fact that inside the apartments weren't very clean. As it happens it took us just 2 days after moving in to give it a good clean with mops, brushes and cloths etc. Thankfully the internal decor was still in excellent condition. With a blank canvas we could fit out and furnish exactly how we wanted. It wasn't difficult to find places to buy furniture and electrical goods etc.

There was a good choice of apartment positions. It may suit others, depending whether they want morning or afternoon sun, but we chose to overlook the golf course, getting a good view of the mountains, the golf course itself and having a nice all round sunny aspect. The aspect also helps during the autumn, winter, springtime months, which can be a bit nippy at night. Also, we didn't want to overlook the pool too closely as we thought it might get noisey at times. So, to summarise, there's lots of options to suit most people.

Buying from the bank can come with some hassle. Lots of paperwork mainly as a precaution against money laundering. It took us two months to complete. But as mentioned earlier, that's more than compensated for, by the price. It still has some issues and full recovery is still a little way off but, by far, most of the owners appear to be very supportive to the resort. It's clear there is a good community spirit. We have a very good feeling that the resort is on the way up!

Since completing in November 2017 all of our expectations have been met and exceeded. As UK residents we have already visited Terrazas several times this year. We think we made the right decision and are very, very happy with our purchase

SallyInHerts

Post by SallyInHerts » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:10 pm

Thanks TCAAIVA and Duncan for your replies, and sorry for taking so long to answer, it's been a busy week.

Duncan, my husband is a morning person and I'm an evening person. So it will be interesting to see who wins on the patio front. It may well be that we have to go with whatever inventory is still available to buy when we are ready to buy next year.

TCAAIVA, we haven't been out to look at properties, though we have been over to Murcia. Your experience is really useful as it backs up what we think from looking extensively online at both English and Spanish property sites... that you can't get anything close to that good for the money anywhere else. We know that there's a trade off in that you have the community fees, but see this as a small price to pay for somewhere that is both beautiful and secure. The comments regarding buying from a bank were very helpful too in terms of managing our expectations.

Our plan this year is to get out and stay for a short while to stay at Terrazas, to have a good look round, both the community and the wider area. Not sure when as yet.

colinsfoto

Post by colinsfoto » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:04 pm

Our reasons for opting to buy in Las Terrazas were much the same as those of other posters. During a four day viewing trip in Oct 17 we saw around 10 apartments around Torrevieja and nothing hit the spot. We then asked the agent (Euro Prestige) to show us properties near the Mar Menor in Murcia. I had researched the area in depth, well ahead of our visit, and initially thought Sucina looked promising.
We then viewed more apartments on several golf urbanisations, including Las Terrazas.
My initial feeling, when we entered via the security gate, was that it was probably not for us. We live in rural Central Beds in an 18th century cottage and Las Terrazas was so different.
Little did I know what was coming. We walked into an apartment overlooking the same golf course shown in Duncan's pictures. We walked out onto the terrace and took in the views. The sky was blue and the air was fresh and all I could hear was silence. I actually thought for a moment that my hearing aid had dies but that wasn't the case ha ha!
My wife and I looked at each other and, in an instant, we both knew that we had found our perfect bolthole. It was one of those magic "light bulb" moments that you get when looking at a new property wherever it is located. I am sure you will know what I mean....
That night, back in our hotel room in Torrevieja, we discussed the practicalities of opting to buy in Las Terrazas. We were both aware of how easily emotions can overrule any clear logical decision making process. With that in mind, the following morning, we went back for a second viewing. The rest is history. Five hours later we paid the deposit to buy :-)
The only downsides to Las Terrazas could be that there is only a bar/restaurant and a Spar shop onsite. The bar has a chequered history, in terms of quality of service, although we had nothing to complain about on our last visit in late May 18. That said, other cheaper supermarkets and restaurants are actually within about 2.5 miles away in Roldan.
As for access from the UK, we usually fly into Alicante and hire a car from https://www.wiberrentacar.com/en/ and drive south to Las Terrazas. Since you live in Herts you could fly from Luton to Murcia airport, which is much closer, but it is a tiny airfield shared with the military. Hence flights are fewer in number.
That could all change when the brand spanking new Murcia airport (Corvera) opens next year ;-)
As for agents, you could try https://bluemedinvest.com/inspection-trips You might be able to get a free viewing trip.

Duncan

Post by Duncan » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:16 am

Haha colinsfoto, we had a similar experience.

We went on a scouting trip in late November 2014. Stayed in an apartment on La Torre while we viewed properties in the Costa Calida area. Soaked up the tranquility and took in the view posted above and our minds were made up.

Facebook post from 5th December 2014:
Well, the short relaxing break hasn't been quite as relaxing as it was meant to be. Came to explore the region and look at properties and prices and ended up falling in love with the place and buying an apartment! Apartments viewed, deposit paid, lawyer engaged, power of attorney signed at the notary, furniture and lighting bought. Should complete in January.
Ended up completing in early March 2015 ...

:roll: :D :lol:

SallyInHerts

Post by SallyInHerts » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:29 pm

Thanks Colin and Duncan. It is interesting to see your comments Colin as we have also been looking at Hacienda Riquelme. We very much like the apartments there and wondered if you went to see them when you were in Sucina. However the prices at Las Terrazas, along with proximity to Roldan and Balsicas, and therefore trains as well is winning us over. As is the obvious strength of the community.

We totally agree with what you are saying about the emotional attachment. We feel that about our timeshare in the USA, but we only have a month a year there. Having somewhere we can go to anytime is living the dream.

We will have a look at the flights from Luton to see how cost effective they work out. Ironically my husband works for an airline, but his is based at Heathrow. Definitely not as easy to get to, especially in the rush hour.

SallyInHerts

Post by SallyInHerts » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:36 pm

Forgot to say, i cant believe you got the furniture package so quickly Duncan. That was brave! I'd be too worried about something happening before we completed.You know the sort of thing... mortgage not going through properly, some sort of problem with the building, being hit by a passing meteorite... 8-)

Duncan

Post by Duncan » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:50 am

If it went pear shaped the most I would have lost on the furniture was the deposit. Having said that, the company I dealt with were great and I'm sure we could have reached a compromise.

This has to be weighed up against the cost of extra trips to shop after completion while living in hotels or rented accommodation. As it turned out, we viewed an empty apartment with no furniture, no lights, no electricity, no water, no white goods, no TV, no curtains etc. On our first visit after completion it was immaculately clean, with everything installed and working as we wanted even down to the drawer units in the wardrobes and the bathroom fittings.

If we got hit by a meteorite, I'm not sure that my furniture deposit would feature high on my list of worries :D

Was just re-reading your earlier post about 1 bedroom apartments. They are selling like hotcakes and there are only 14 left on the Solvia site.

Code: Select all

Floor	m2	Beds	Baths	From	Status
1	47	1	1	€45,700	
1	47	1	1	€45,400	
1	47	1	1	€45,700	
1	47	1	1	€45,700	
1	47	1	1	€45,700	
1	47	1	1	€45,700	
1	47	1	1	€45,400	Closed
1	47	1	1	€45,400	
1ª	47	1	1	€45,400	
2	42	1	1	€40,500	
2	42	1	1	€40,500	Closed
2	42	1	1	€40,900	
B	50	1	1	€47,500	
B	50	1	1	€47,200	
B	50	1	1	€47,100	
BJ	50	1	1	€47,100
Plenty of 2 bedrooms available from €52,300

SallyInHerts

Post by SallyInHerts » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:56 pm

Thanks for the Solvia update Duncan. The good news for us is that the one beds we are interested in are the first floor ones with the half covered terrace. They are the ones that are selling less well. If we can't secure one of those, we'll look at the 2 beds as they aren't much more expensive. It is the big terrace that we are after, not on the ground floor, rather than the extra bedroom. But if we have to go for an extra bedroom wouldn't be disappointed.

Still, on this place, only five mortgage payments to go as of today :D

Dominic

Post by Dominic » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:59 am

Hi
I am looking to buy on Las Terrazas and am coming over in two weeks
Do you know who I am best to contact
Thanks Dom

DavePerry

Post by DavePerry » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:22 pm

Hi
Maybe worth joining Las Terrazas FB Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/1641631349393248/ and putting the word out.

There will also be estate agent recomendations on La Torre FB site
https://www.facebook.com/groups/LaTorre ... =bookmarks

Good luck
Dave

colinsfoto

Post by colinsfoto » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:43 pm

SallyInHerts wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:29 pm
Thanks Colin and Duncan. It is interesting to see your comments Colin as we have also been looking at Hacienda Riquelme. We very much like the apartments there and wondered if you went to see them when you were in Sucina. However the prices at Las Terrazas, along with proximity to Roldan and Balsicas, and therefore trains as well is winning us over. As is the obvious strength of the community.

We totally agree with what you are saying about the emotional attachment. We feel that about our timeshare in the USA, but we only have a month a year there. Having somewhere we can go to anytime is living the dream.

We will have a look at the flights from Luton to see how cost effective they work out. Ironically my husband works for an airline, but his is based at Heathrow. Definitely not as easy to get to, especially in the rush hour.
Hi Sally, sorry for the big gap in reply. For some reason my notifications of posts are not working and I missed your post.
We did look at Hacienda Riquelme but felt it was just that little bit to far from the coast for us.

Now that we have been out too LT three times since we completed in March, we feel it was the right decision. The bus service to Murcia or San Javier from Balsicas is good. Likewise the trains to Murcia and Cartagena. My 17 YO daughter and her boyfriend are actually in our apartment this week. Being teenagers, they can't hire a car but have got around fine with just bikes and public transport.

SallyInHerts

Post by SallyInHerts » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:06 pm

Thanks colinsphoto, that's really helpful, especially in terms of the distance to the coast. We will probably hire a car, but it's great to know that with a bike, there are reasonable alternatives. Just hoping that there is some inventory left once the mortgage is paid off!

colinsfoto

Post by colinsfoto » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:55 pm

SallyInHerts wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:06 pm
Thanks colinsphoto, that's really helpful, especially in terms of the distance to the coast. We will probably hire a car, but it's great to know that with a bike, there are reasonable alternatives. Just hoping that there is some inventory left once the mortgage is paid off!
Well, I can assure you, from our own experience, that when your mortgage is paid off it will be one of the best days of your life ;)
Our only mistake was to procrastinate too long before we booked ourselves up with a viewing trip to Murcia, I spend endless hours researching possible locations to buy, but eventually settled on somewhere within a 30 km radius of Las Terrazas. In fact Sucina drew me in to begin with.
I also spotted the potential for increased economic growth within the region if the new airport at Corvera ever opened. It was a blind, albeit informed, gamble at the time. When we bought in October last year, there was still a lot of uncertainty about that actually happening.
Now it is due to open in January 2019, I can breath a sigh of relief.
There are several Spanish property selling agents who offer cheap viewing trips. In our case we settled for https://spanishlegalhomes.com/
We paid £200 for the two of us to spend 4 days in Alicante and Murcia looking at potential purchases. Their price included return flights from UK and hotel accommodation in Torre Vieja.