Register and then forward the latest weekly Resortalia newsletter to lasterrazasdelatorre@gmail.com to get access to the private owners area
Click the X on the top right of this announcement box to dismiss this message.

Car hire at Murcia airport

Area for general discussion about Las Terrazas de la Torre, Costa Calida and Murcia
garypaterson58

Car hire at Murcia airport

Post by garypaterson58 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:38 am

Good morning from a sunny England

I’m in the process of purchasing on the complex and will be coming over at least once a month from the uk for a long weekend (4 nights)

When I first came over in March 2018 to start my research about buying in the area I flew into Alicante and hired a car for 4 days from Dickmanns Rentals. Having never heard of them before and having booked via a reputable website in the UK I got a good deal and also took out the extra insurance via the website which covered for any loss or damage

When I arrived at Alicante it took me an hour to find the mini bus which takes you offsite to where Dickmanns are located and was greeted by 4 young Spanish employees of the company who took great delight in trying to ‘rip me off’

I was informed that the extra insurance I had taken out in the UK was not valid and that I would have to either leave a 1200 euro damage deposit or take out their insurance which cost me 79 euros. I also had to leave a further 80 euro holding deposit in case I did not return the vehicle with a full tank of fuel.

I read with interest the previous comments on the forum about hiring a car at Murcia and was wandering if anyone had the same experience as I had with Dickmanns?

If I was to purchase a yearly insurance policy to cover a hire vehicle in Spain would it be valid or would I have to take out their insurance?

When I was over in June I hired a car for a week from EDI rentals who I can highly recommend. It cost me 160 for 7 days hire and there were no hidden costs. Down side is they will not be hiring cars from the new airport at Corvera

I look forward to any advice

Gary Paterson B2102

Duncan

Re: Car hire at Murcia airport

Post by Duncan » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:59 pm

Hi Gary,

Welcome to Las Terrazas. Yes, I had similar problems. First time I used them they did the same to me. I ended up buying their insurance on top of my own insurance to avoid paying for a full tank of petrol. Next time I was more prepared. Booked full/full and refused their insurance but they took over €1000 as a deposit and didn't refund it for nearly two months. I've never used them since.

I use Interrent or Firefly which are budget arms of Europcar and Hertz and generally everything has been OK. I recommend that you take out annual excess insurance of your own and refuse their excess insurance. Always book full/full and return full. You will always be asked to earmark funds to cover for your excess but this will not be taken unless there is damage to the car at which point you need to claim back from your own excess insurance.
Register and then forward the latest weekly Resortalia newsletter to lasterrazasdelatorre@gmail.com to get access to the private owners area

Irishdean

Post by Irishdean » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:37 pm

we have used doyouspain.com regularly and tend to pick interrent. we have an annual excess insurance policy with questor that cost GBP 40. As an example of interrent prices, we rented recently a VW Polo from Wednesday 27/6 to Wednesday 4/7 inclusive for only Euro 52. It was on a full to full policy with no payment for fuel upfront, and they took a block on the credit card of Euro 800 which was then released when returned with no damage. Very straight forward and quick check out and check back in process.

colinsfoto

Post by colinsfoto » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:23 pm

Interrent every time! The added bonus is that there is rarely a queue at the pick up desk, unlike the others at Murcia.

garypaterson58

Post by garypaterson58 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:50 am

Thank you for all the replies I will be following the excellent advice and using one of those recommended. Regards Gary

TCAAIVA

Post by TCAAIVA » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:49 pm

Welcome to Las Terrazas de laTorre.

Car hire companies are notorious for stitching up holiday makers etc. We've read examples of people using a specific company many times without problem but eventually they hit on a bad experience. We've used Centauro several times - so far so good but we're not complacent about that. As recommended by others, always book full/full. The insurance excess policy which you can buy for approx £40 in UK is definitely valid as an alternative to the inflated rates the hire companies try to get from you, so don't let them tell you otherwise. They will block off approx 1000€ against your credit card. In the event of an accident the hire company will deduct whatever it feels it should from your card. You then claim it back from the excess policy you bought in UK.

As for costs, we've noticed that they vary even from the same hire company depending not only on the dates you want to use the vehicle but also when you make the booking, so it's worth doing several price checks, leading up to your trip.

garypaterson58

Post by garypaterson58 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:08 pm

Thank you

colinsfoto

Post by colinsfoto » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:25 am

Just a (maybe cost saving) heads up about DoyouSpain. I've used their site a few times and invariably booked an InterRent car with them.
The last time I used them was about two months back for a visit on 12 August 2018.
Today I realised that I had booked a car return time which was far too early given our flight departure time.
No worries, I went onto DoyouSpain's website and changed it. To my surprise, although the new return time made no difference to the number of days hire, their site then displayed a two column summary of the before and after change hire cost, with the option to accept or cancel the change. The new price was actually 11% lower than the price I had originally paid and I had the option to confirm the change and receive a refund of the difference.
Needless to say, I was happy to confirm the change and get the partial refund.
It would seem that if you book early and pay the price at the time to ensure a reservation, if the price drops closer to the hire date you only have to make a minor change to get the benefit of that price drop
Of course, if the price rose nearer the time of hire, you can cancel the change and revert to what you paid upfront in the first place..