Register and then forward the latest weekly Resortalia newsletter to lasterrazasdelatorre@gmail.com to get access to the private owners area
Click the X on the top right of this announcement box to dismiss this message.

Wireless Broadband and iptv

Area for general discussion about Las Terrazas de la Torre, Costa Calida and Murcia
TonyH

Wireless Broadband and iptv

Post by TonyH » Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:00 pm

Does anyone have recent experience of chanding over to wireless broadband and IPTV
Tony

Duncan

Re: Wireless Broadband and iptv

Post by Duncan » Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:44 pm

Hi Tony,

Did you post this question in the block 56 private discussion forum intentionally? I can move it to the open discussion forum if you want more people to see it and respond? In this forum only Block 56 owners will see it.

Anyway, to answer your question, I use the free version of FilmOn for the majority of my TV needs in Spain. It gives you all the UK freeview channels plus channels from all over Europe and the rest of the world in SD for free.

I use Netflix for movies and other premium content in HD. Netflix costs £5.99 a month and can be used in the UK, Spain and most anywhere in the world. The content is specific to each region but still good premium content.

I use a Google Chromecast to stream the content to the TV. It costs £30 to purchase, no ongoing charges. Very easy to set up, just plug it into an HDMI socket on your TV and set it up via a smart phone or tablet.

Effectively all you need to do is download the Netflix, Filmon and Chromecast (now Google Home) apps to your phone or tablet and then select what you want to view on the phone or tablet and stream it straight to your TV.

I have the A2Z 4MB Internet service which costs 18€ per month. You can connect and disconnect as required but be aware there is a 20€ reconnection fee every time you restart the service. As I am out a number of times a year and have a weather station, security camera and soon will have a web cam, I leave my connection permanently connected so it costs €216 per annum.

If you need any help setting it up, I would be happy to help you.
Register and then forward the latest weekly Resortalia newsletter to lasterrazasdelatorre@gmail.com to get access to the private owners area

TonyH

Re: Wi reless Broadband and iptv

Post by TonyH » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:28 pm

Hi Duncan

Please post to the community web site

Tony

Duncan

Post by Duncan » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:12 am

Hi Tony,

I have moved the topic.

I hope we get more responses from others as there are plenty of other options that hopefully others have tried.

Interesting article on CHROMECAST, APPLE TV, ROKU OR AMAZON FIRE TV – WHICH IS BEST FOR STREAMING VIDEO TO YOUR TV?

There are also options like a Kodi player. There are quite a few on Las Terrazas who use these. I used to, but the legality of these is being questioned

There are of course the A2Z IP TV offerings which seem a bit expensive to me and have limited channels. Their IPTV box looks a lot like the Kodi box but a lot more expensive!

I guess a lot depends on whether you want Internet and TV in your apartment or just TV

Darren1965

Post by Darren1965 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:33 pm

Duncan
The A2Z internet seems good value even if you are only on site for 5-6 weeks

Might sound daft question but where or how do you arrange connection as I am over on 27dec and would like to get this installed.
The free film website for U.K. TV and your advise on use of google chrome is useful.

Thanks Darren

Duncan

Post by Duncan » Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:52 pm

Hi Darren,

A2Z have an office on La Torre Golf Resort in the town centre. Their contact details are on their website.

Suggest you contact them ahead of your visit and arrange an appointment. Do you have a keyholder? They might even set it up before you arrive if you send payment and signed contract ahead of your visit.

Darren1965

Post by Darren1965 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:42 pm

good advise Duncan all sorted with A2z for my arrival at Christmas, taking the 18 euro package, and also got the dongle form chrome
many thanks, owe you a pint sometime :) :)

Duncan

Post by Duncan » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:36 pm

Note that FilmOn is no longer free. There are other internet providers for streaming UK TV. You can also stream Sky, BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, C4 On Demand etc via a VPN tunnel but that is a little more complex to set up.

colinsfoto

Post by colinsfoto » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:09 am

Well Duncan
My choice is : https://nordvpn.com/special/deal/?gclid ... WXEALw_wcB
It is easy enough to set uo.
Colin

Duncan

Post by Duncan » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:29 am

Hi colinsfoto,

I have an ODROID-C1 which runs in my home in Manchester. Cost $35

I use it to run the web server that hosts this forum and the terrazas webcam server. I also use it as a SOCKS proxy server for my VPN tunnel when I am in Spain. This means my VPN costs nothing.

The difficulty with accessing Sky Go, BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, C4 On Demand etc via a VPN tunnel from Spain is that not only are they checking the IP address, they also check browser location, OS location, system date and time etc. So you have to hide a lot more than just your IP address these days. Hence the reason I said it is a little more complex to set up. As you say, setting up a VPN tunnel is relatively easy.

colinsfoto

Post by colinsfoto » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:52 am

Thanks Duncan,
You are clearly well ahead of me there ;)
So far I've only tested NordVPN from the UK. With location turned off, I selected a Spanish ip address and, as expected, BBC UK blocked me. When I cleared cache and selected a UK ip it allowed me in.
That suggests to me that NordVPN will do the same job when I am back at Las Terrazas. Any thoughts on that?
Regards
Colin

Duncan

Post by Duncan » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:29 pm

I had to turn off location reporting in the browser, change time zone and location to UK in the OS settings and use the VPN tunnel in the past. Someone told me that there had been recent EU legislation which means UK services such as Sky Go, BBC iPlayer etc can't geo-block you in the EU. If you have paid for a service in the UK then you are entitled to use it in the EU. I haven't had the chance to test it out yet.

Services such as Amazon Prime and Netflix were always available in the UK and Spain but the content was different depending on location. This still applies as content is restricted on copyright grounds. Content available on Prime in the UK is available on Netflix in Spain and vice versa. So if you want to watch Spanish content don't use the tunnel. If you want to watch UK content use the tunnel. The same applies in reverse from the UK. I use my Raspberry Pi weather station server in Spain to watch Spanish content that is blocked in the UK.

Bottom line is it is easy to buy a cheap odroid or raspberry pi and plug it into your router in the UK and use it as a SOCKS proxy for your VPN tunnel without having to pay a monthly subscription to a VPN provider. If you don't want the hassle then your NordVPN should do the trick.. Hiding the IP is only part of the jigsaw if you want to completely circumvent geo-blocking but it looks like recent legislation may just have made it easier.

colinsfoto

Post by colinsfoto » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:27 am

Thanks Duncan,
I actually missed your detailed reply as things got hectic ahead of our departure to Las Terrazas.
We are actually here and, for info, NordVPN did the job fine. Of course there is always a catch. I am not able to cast wirelessly to the TV from my tablet as the Spanish IP address of the A2Z router, to which it is connected, blows my cover..ha..ha!
Setting up VPN on the router would get around that but I don't know if it even supports VPN at the moment
The quick and easy workaround is to simple connect the tablet to TV using an HDMI cable, job done.
Now having said all that, we have actually found that we have spent most of the time using Netflix anyway.
I am still inside the 30 day refund window with Nord, so I may decide to cancel the subscription if it looks like I won't be needing it.
Still, it has been a useful experiment to make, and I do recommend Nordvpn to other residents who want to watch free UK without any complicated setting up.

Colin

Duncan

Post by Duncan » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:39 am

Hi colinsfoto,

I have been helping a neighbour here with a Samsung smart TV and Express VPN. Same issues.

The VPN works fine for iPlayer, ITV Hub etc on a PC running Windows 10 and you can cast to the TV via a Google Chromecast or similar or connect directly via an HDMI cable but this isn't an elegant solution. Netflix works fine on the Smart TV. Like you, when we are out we tend to watch netflix and only connect via VPN when there is something on UK TV that we really want to watch.

The issues come with iPlayer and ITV Hub apps on the TV. I can set the TV to stream from the US but iPlayer etc is still geoblocked. You can get round this with L2TP VPN via the router but unfortunately the A2Z routers don't support this. They do however support L2TP pass-through so it would be possible to connect an LT2P router to the A2Z router and then connect the TV and any other device to the L2TP router. Probably getting into the realms of tech savvy with that though! :shock:

colinsfoto

Post by colinsfoto » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:14 pm

Hi Duncan
I think I"ll stick with the HDMI cable for now to keep things simple ;)
Colin

colinsfoto

Post by colinsfoto » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:22 pm

That said up there ^^ , I originally found that chromecast didn't appear to work, hence I used the HDMI cable option. Now I realise that I was doing things in the wrong order. I was playing iPlayer stuff on my tablet and then hitting the cast button. All that showed on the TV was "iPlayer is waiting to cast".
I then found if I hit the cast button first and then selected play on the iPlayer dowload, it casted fine. doh!

Gerry2931

Post by Gerry2931 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:42 pm

Phase 1 is cabled for broadband.

Can only A2Z use the cable, or can other ISPs use them ?

If so, who would you recommend ?

Duncan

Post by Duncan » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:57 pm

I think the cable infrastructure around Las Terrazas is owned by A2Z. I don't think they allow other providers to use it.